HomeMy JewelryTutorialsClassesContact Me

Friday, June 18, 2010

Spring trip home 2010

Our Voyage Home
The California to Washington State trek

Home again, home again. Ah yes, when the temperature starts with a six, in our home state of Washington, that's the time we load up the buggy and bikes (motorcyles), and begin the voyage north, up I-5. It is normally a race to see how many hours we can knock off the trip, which is normally about 2 1/2 days. But like I said in the last post, we spent an extra day in Ashland, OR, heaven on earth.


I took a few shots to share. Here's WH loading up the truck with Riki's workshop stuff, a few clothes, golf clubs and of course, my Vespa, Mia, and his Suzuki. Its a kick to ride around our islands on the bikes. I'll miss the windy vineyards of Central Coast California, but we'll be back in no time.

This is a picture of WH and me, along this amazing stream trail, that runs for miles, down the center of Ashland, OR. The sights are a feast for the eyes, the intense evergreen smells are a reminder of being back in the northwest woods.

A beautiful scene along the groomed trails. I can picture the American Indians living here, along the stream, fishing for their needs. Living off the land, taking only what they need.

And of course we did cocktails and dinner along the stream. The temperature was so comfortable, no coats. It was the perfect place to spend one extra day. And of course I had to go shopping, so I found the greatest boutique clothing store called 250 Main. I bought a ton of amazing, cutting edge, some european clothing. And after explaining what I create, the owner asked to see my wares. So I went back to the hotel room, loaded them up, and high tailed it back to her beautiful shop. We struck a deal, and you can now find some pieces there. So if you're in the area, swing in and take a look, after your lunch by the creek!

Then the next night, while in Tumwater, Washington, we devised a way to do the etched box drawing! I told you we used a coffee pot, hey, you use what you have, right? And that's when lucy Studio Sylvia from Australia won the contest. Again, congrats Sylvia! I have it packaged, and will try to mail it tomorrow!


It's great to be back at the cabin in the woods on our little island. I'll get some pics of it and post about our sweet paradise, "Schumacher Camp" as visiting friends call it. I wish you could all visit, we would build you a campfire, and roast some marshmallows, after a fun day of walking trails, making jewelry, and watching the deer drift through quietly.

Everything is perfect here except for the empty little doggie beds. I can feel Chester's presence, see him happy and running to mark every corner of the property, scouting for deer smells, running from bees getting too close. He is here in spirit, we envision his wagging tail and smiling face, as he plays hard at catch, then cools in the lush green grass.

There's no place like home Toto.

19 comments:

stregata said...

Looks and sounds like paradise, Riki! I am sure Chester is with you in spirit, and happy, so try not to be too sad. That would just make him want to lick your nose! Refresh your spirit in the beautiful woods.
Congratulations on finding another special place to feature your lovely work.

Sueann said...

Oh sounds so wonderful! I would love to come and sit by the fire and tell stories! Love to tell and listen to stories.
Hugging you sweetie
SueAnn

romantic decay said...

Sounds like the perfect place. Have a wonderful time!

krys kirkpatrick said...

Welcome home....I hope you are bringing a little of your sunshine with you! Look forward to your visit. A cabin in the woods sounds like heaven.

Anonymous said...

I love anything Washington and Oregon and could feel the air and smell the scents through your words! What a fantastic and magical road trip, and then to be home again, ahhh...how very special.

Chester's spirit is definitely with you and embracing you on this journey :)

And now your jewels are spreading the Riki Love wherever you go!! Congratulations!

Diana said...

Lucky 250 Main for featuring Riki Jewelry!!! Ashland certainly is a magical place. It's been years since I have visited there. It was nostalgic reading your post and seeing your photos....thank you AHHH yes, Camp Schumacher is such a wonderful spot to return to nature and the blessings that only true friends can bring. Miss you my friend. Give yourself and WH a hug for me.
tootles
Diana

Beatnheart said...

Riki, so happy to see you posting again. A very good sign indeed. You live an amazing life. Two homes in two fabulous places. Wow!! Lukcy, lucky you...So enjoy and be glad. You were blessed to have your darling lil friend. Another “fur baby” is waiting for you...and when the time is right, you and he will be reunited again. With warm regards, Cynthia

Margaret said...

Beautiful post Riki! thank you for sharing these wonderful images with us. Margaretx

In the Light of the Moon said...

Riki that lunch by the creek must be amazing!!The sound of the rushing water..how lovely.

You are such a lucky lady..traveling around with hubby..and I just know it..when the time is right..a new furry friend will come knocking.Big Hugs friend,Cat

Shane Pollard said...

I really ENJOYED reading your post Riki, it sounds like a wonderful adventure you're on!

I've joined your followers as I loved this and I'm in tune with your bio - especially the granddaughters (see my profile)!!
I would love you to come and visit and I will get out the pretty teacups and make you very welcome!!

jill said...

I can barely WAIT to see you! While everyone else is missing you down south, I get to visit you and Fred and walk, talk, cook, and LAUGH. Can hardly wait, my friend, see you Friday! It's been a long 7 months in your absence.

Stephani Gorman said...

Beautiful pics Riki, will miss you on our walks ,but look forward to a fast return this time around. Hugs, Steff

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Riki, I love the picture of you and your husband. You two look so happy :)

Diane said...

I am coming up there just as quick as I can Riki =) Hold on and don't cut it loose just yet....I want to come stay at the Schumacher Camp and ride the Vespa with you =))
Congratulations on leaving some of your beautiful jewelry in a new shop~they know a good thing when they see it!!
Ahhh, I know you are missing Chester running around looking for deer tails =( I would too.
xoxox

Anne Lorys said...

You're tugging at my heart with your comments on Chester. I can so relate, and I'm sending you big hugs.

:-)
Anne

Kateyed said...

That is just beautiful. You look happy and relaxed. It is fun to have shopping nearby, too!!

I am so glad you felt Chester's presence.

xo,
Suz

Jen Crossley said...

Im glad you had a wonderful Time away.Chester will always hold a very special place in your heart,he was such a big part of your life,Im sure he is watching over you still.
Jen

Lynnie said...

Riki,
What a lovely trip and beautiful pictures! You will be getting lots of visitors with that invitation, makes me want to come and paint there, and hang by the fire with you all.
xoxoox
I am thinking about your sweet Chester. they are the best, and I know he was a lucky guy to have been with your family. good memories. xoxo

Kami Taylor said...

What a great setting for your Tea Party!
Hope it was sooo good you are having it every day!
Your blog is filled with joy and color.
Lots of Love, Kami