HomeMy JewelryTutorialsClassesContact Me

Sunday, December 12, 2010

I finished my first box!

Or kind of have. I just completed my second on-line course with Stephanie Lee, who is a genius a fabulous teacher, and incredibly talented I must say! The last week of the course was about how to build a box from scratch, using sheet metal and solder.

I LOVE boxes, always have. Don't know if that is a huge flaw in my personality, or just a fetish! But none the less, love them. Sooooo, after making many etched, pre-made boxes, and adding some fun decor, I finally got to try my skills at hand building one.

I'm hooked! It is too much fun. You have to be incredibly precise, and strong! And of course I couldn't start out small, like Stephanie suggested. This one is 5" x 3", made from sheet copper. I had a ton of copper, and its less expensive than nickel or brass. And I was too excited to etch first, which would be beautiful, so I just hammered the heck out of the sides. Turned out pretty cool.

Making the lid fit was a brain teaser. This is where precision in everything come in to play. And I wasn't, so it took me way longer than it should have. But I learned a lot!
I plan to adorn it with some fun things on top, then it will shine. Bling you ask??
Of course!

So there you have it. That is my big accomplishment for the weekend. I'm so proud, feel like a created a little baby! Glad it didn't take as long!

AND, some housekeeping. There are some wonderful giveaways posted on my side bar, please go look. And don't forget about my sale in my Etsy shop, everything is still 20% off, and it flying out!!
Just enter the code DECEMBERSALE20.
So if you have your little eye on something that fancies you, grab it! Or let Santa know right away!

Happy creating everyone.
Hugs,
Riki

17 comments:

Debbi Thinks Deep said...

Wonderful! I love it! I'm taking metalsmith classes. I totally get it what it is that you love about it! Isn't it grand? And beautiful work, by the way! I am anxious to see how you will adorn it. :)
~Debbi

Beadbug said...

I love it but haven't tried my hand at one yet. My copper is in the etching bath :)

Kim Palmer said...

I think your box turned out fabulously Riki! I saw the course with Stephanie, but too late to sign on so am hoping to catch this one next time around. It looked awesome and now after seing your box I'm definitely in for the next one!

Lorena Angulo said...

Love your box !!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...you rock! I love the box. I hope to make one myself...I'm so far behind in class. Can't wait to see after you embellish!

Jen Crossley said...

OMG stunning Riki

Beatnheart said...

Nothing can stop Riki Schumacher!!! you are a rock star goddess...

Julie Pishny said...

Oh Wow - this is stunning. I love it and can't wait to see more of these...

Charlene said...

WOW!!!!!!!! The box is great!!! I can't imagine HOW LONG that must have taken! Hope you'll stop over to my blog & meet The Elf! HUGS! Charlene

Holly Loves Art said...

Your box is really gorgeous. What a project!! Will check back for more!
Hugs,
Holly

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

Okay I am loving your box and I cannot wait till Stephanie has another course I will be taking it! I just couldn't because the salon (I do nails) is so busy this time of year.
Great job!
Shannon C

stregata said...

Fantastic job, Riki! Can't wait to see how you adorn it.

The Joy of Nesting said...

WOOO HOOO Miss R!!!

This is soooooo incredible!!and way to cool!!! You have every right to be so proud of yourself!! What an accomplishment!!

Miss R ya know I live in the hinderlands & it takes forever for me to get my mail. Soooo it was just yesterday when my BAJ arrived!!! I just have to tell you that once again I'm totally in awe of your incredible gifts&talents and smitten with your beautiful creations!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Sueann said...

I love the copper box...you did well!! Can't wait to see how you embellish it!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

sharon said...

Absolutely fntastic Riki! I know you will make it shine for sure! I also was too late to sign up for this one, maybe next time.

Alice said...

How wonderful to have mastered this skill! I took Stephanie's first class and loved it, but had to purchase the DVD since I couldn't finish the course.

I would imagine you will be making more of these lovely boxes and I can't wait to see them all.

Pretty Things said...

AWESOME! What an accomplishment and milestone!