HomeMy JewelryTutorialsClassesContact Me

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

ROAD TRIP! 

My husband, my doggie and I left our winter home, and headed to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island on Sunday morning.  We left in great spirits, all packed up with our treasures we can't leave behind for four months, after many days of organizing.  I even squeezed in a wonderful three day workshop with Art & Soul at Asilomar before leaving, with great friends Diana Frey and Stephanie Gorman. I will post pics of the workshop as soon as I can. I promised to send pics of the class to everyone who wrote their email address in my notebook, and those are coming!  So the trip was going well, until our pick up full of all our goodies, was broken in to in a parking lot, overnight, in Redding, CA at our motel. Major bummer. They stole all our motorcycle gear, like coats, boots, helmets, etc. You work hard to find stuff that fits and is good quality, but, what can you do? So we are quickly replacing the items, and I try to maintain the attitude that is is just STUFF!  None of us were harmed, that is what is really important. The nice lady from the Redding sheriff's department showed some sympathy, as she was finger printing the truck!

So after a three day journey, to our little part of woodsy paradise, up here on the island, which is about an hour and a half north of Seattle, then a ferry ride, we arrived safe and sound.  I am reminded of how beautiful it is, how amazing it smells, how deep green the trees and grass are, and how roomy my workshop is! There is an abundance of nature here...animals, plant life, the water and wonderful sights.  Plus the chance to re-connect with friends I've missed over the winter. I posted a picture of my workshop in the collage, and what a mess it is after unpacking a ton of boxes we moved.  I can never figure out how I fit it all in, but it seems to work.

We love spending our summers at our little home on our island, it is magical. This is the only time the trip has been eventful, hopefully the last. Hide your things in your cars folks, if you can. Times are tough right now out there for folks, taking more chances. So I've gotten unpacked, most things put away, and I'm ready for the Island Artist Tour this weekend.  Today it was 80 degrees, pretty rare for us, but will be cooler this weekend. 

8 comments:

Diana said...

I'm so thankful that you are there safe and sound. You are simply amazing having time to post, putting everything away and getting ready for your tour. Hope the tour goes well and you sell lots of your beautiful jewelry.
Hugs
Diana

Diane said...

I am so glad you are safe in your little cabin up north! And, so sad you lost some of your "things" along the way.....but, you are so right.....as they are only "things", and you two are okay.
I wish you much success this weekend. Have fun, and take care my friend.

Stephani Gorman said...

Riki, glad you are home to your sweet cabin! Great pictures! The surrroundings look so calm and cosy! Looking forward to seeing more pictures soon! Have a great day. Hugs, Stephani

shelley in bigsky said...

you have an amazing attitude....i know your loss personally...it gets better and new treasures are to be found. there's freedom in believing that it's just "stuff". I know your art tour will be fabulous! play well my friend....shelley

liz elayne lamoreux said...

so sorry to read about the break-in...but so glad you are snug in your cabin. how wonderful to have such a gorgeous place to summer in...have fun creating in your studio space!

farmlady said...

Hi Riki,
Greetings from 3 Dog Farm in The California Foothills. Thanks for the great photos of our wonderful workshop at Asilomar.
I would imagine that you're very glad to be up in your little cabin in Washington State. Hope the rest of your Summer is uneventful and relaxing. One of my best memories is a photo of you and Nina laughing together over your name, the one Nina couldn't get straight. I will send it to you, later. Connie

Shelly said...

Glad you made it safely, Riki. What a beautiful place you have. A sanctuary. Hope you are feeling better day by day. I posted a little snippet on my blog. Hope it helps in some small way.
Again,thanks for the photos of Nina's class !!!
All the best,
Shelly

Riki Schumacher said...

Thanks so much for posting about this Shelly, it would be great if a ton of others did, so we could all be on the lookout for these creeps! Thanks again, I am better day by day.